Saturday, July 18, 2015

More on Shabbat

A few more Shabbat pics, and some more thoughts:


In my last post I didn't speak about going to the Wall. It was late already (I think I turned off the computer at about 3 am) and I didn't have it in me to talk about the emotional experience of meeting Shabbat at that holy site. I'm not very much more rested, but here's what I can say.

The anticipation was growing as we walked from the Tower of David to the Western Wall. I don't think anyone can not be moved by the experience of welcoming Shabbat at the Wall. My first impression when going through the entrance, when they have men go to one side and women to the other was that of exclusion. It felt marginalizing to be filtered in that way. Not to mention that the men's side was larger, and that the men seemed to be much, much louder. But that feeling didn't last. Before going up to the Wall I sat for a while in a chair and observed the sights and sounds of the women's side. The first thing I noticed was the diversity: Hasidic women; modern Orthodox women; tourists; locals; young women on Birthright or other trips taking selfies; women with infants and young children. No one was exactly like me, and yet everyone was exactly like me. They were all here to connect to their past, to celebrate their identity, to embrace the holy.

I went up to the Wall and patiently waited for an opening to get close enough to touch it, to rest my forehead on this ancient symbol of our heritage. I said a personal prayer next to a young woman who I surmised from her slightly too loud and somewhat distracting prayers was some sort of fundamentalist Christian. Again, diversity was the theme. We are all different and we are all the same, with the same yearnings for connection to a greater spirit.

I then stood in the back on a ledge to take in the scene more fully. The men, meanwhile were wrapping up their Shabbat prayers and were singing and dancing with energy and joy. As were the women. The ruach was unbelievable on so many levels. I just wanted to inhale the energy. It was truly inspirational in the sense that it filled my entire being with peace and joy.










And then off to dinner., feeling amazingly whole.






No comments:

Post a Comment